Monday, September 04, 2006

Al-Fatihah

I hear with sorrow the news of the death of Rashid Maidin, a true independence fighter of our country. I was in Penang when I heard about the news on 1 September 2006, and was unable to post a message of condolence on this blog timely.

I do not know the former leader of the Communist Party of Malaya (CPM) personally. I first learned his name through the mainstream history book, along with Chin Peng and Chen Tien, who were the CPM representatives in Baling Peace Talk. The mainstream history is, of course, unkind to Pak Rashid at all. Nevertheless, I am fortunate enough to understand the genuine history of Malaysia and recognise the greatness of numerous anti-colonial warriors, including Pak Rashid Maidin.

For those who are still believing that the independence of Malaya in 1957 was the result of the peaceful negotiation in London, I strongly recommend this book to you - Memoir Rashid Maidin, Dari Perjuangan Bersenjata Kepada Perdamaian. Besides, you should also read the statement of the PAS's Research Institute (Pusat Penyelidikan PAS Pusat).

After learning the genuine history, disseminate the information to your friends, so that they will not continue indulging in the "Fairy-Tale" of UMNO version's MERDEKA!

Rest in peace, Pak Rashid. Grateful Malaysians salute you!