Sunday, January 08, 2006

Making a Change!

When I was in second year of university (2002), I was given a chance to participate an international workshop on behalf of DEMA. The theme of the workshop was "Making a Change". The organiser of the workshop was a German foundation, Friedrich Ebert Stuftung (FES). It was held in Bangkok, Thailand.

The workshop was an eye opener for a fresh chap like me. I met with many foreign friends in the workshop.

Besides participating the workshop, I had also met Mabel Au, a Hong Kong activist who was working in CAW (Committee of Asian Women, a women rights organisation) then. Mabel is also the fiancee of Tian Chua, a former ISA detainee.

Tian was still detained without trial under the ISA in Kamunting detention camp when I met Mabel in Bangkok. Mabel is also barred from entering Malaysia, because of her proactive involvement in the Abolish ISA Movement.